EPA Announces Five Year Dicamba Registration
On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced a new, five year approval for three dicamba products, including Xtendimax® Herbicide with VaporGrip® Technology, for over-the-top use.
Logan Vaughn, LG Seeds Product and Agronomy Manager, states that "The registration of dicamba products puts LG Seeds STAR Partner dealers and their customers in an excellent soybean position for 2021 and beyond. Combined with the recent approval of XtendFlex® Soybeans and the outstanding soybean lineup available from LG Seeds, farmers have the options they need for increased soybean yields and outstanding weed control."
The EPA states that the decision was made after reviewing substantial amounts of new information and scientific assessments. In an effort to manage off-site movement of dicamba, the EPA's new registration includes control measures such as:
- The required use and documentation of available pH buffering agents to lower the volatility of dicamba tank mixes
- A required downwind buffer of 240 feet and 310 feet where listed species are located
- A nationwide cutoff date of June 30 for over-the-top applications in soybeans
- Opportunities to use hooded sprayers to reduce buffers
- The same wind speed, sprayer speed and time of day requirements as the 2018 label.